LEAP’s Hailey Heishman shared her Snapchat knowledge at the Louisville Digital Association’s Emerging Social Media App Exposition event on March 15. The monthly talk covered the social media apps, WeChat, What’s App, Periscope and Snapchat. It may seem as if Snapchat is a way for millennials to communicate and send food photos, but with more than 100 million daily users, 9,000 snaps shared per second and 8 billion daily video views it is time for brands to start paying attention.
10 things to know from the presentation include:
- Influencer partnerships are a way that brand can reach their targeted demographic.
- Users can be interested in watching live events that they cannot attend.
- Sneak peeks and behind-the-scenes videos can help connect with viewers and give the exclusivity feel.
- It is important that users are not talked at, but talked to on Snapchat.
- You can go beyond the character limit by selecting an area in notes and pasting it in Snapchat.
- A filter tip is that you can use two filters by picking the first filter you want to apply and then touching and holding the screen with your finger. Then with another finger swipe to pick another filter to apply.
- Geofilters are an inexpensive way and effective way to reach your audience in a visual and fun way. Geofilters are also popular for people personally when it comes to weddings, parties and other special events.
- 71% of users are under the age of 34.
- 70% of Snapchat users are women.
- Users spend an average of 30 minutes per day on the platform.
Social media continues to evolve, which makes it crucial to keep up. Whether you are using the puppy dog lense to send a picture of your child or creating a geofilter to target users at an event, Snapchat can be beneficial in a variety of ways. The best way to learn about Snapchat is to get on it and give it a try. Whether you are just starting out or want to take your snapping game to the next level, it's important to know your audience and how to matter more. Check out the full presentation...