A VIRTUAL SALUTE
FOR VERY REAL VALOR
LEAP teamed up with Heinz, the Wounded Warrior Project and Texas Roadhouse to honor American Veterans Day.
LEAP was proud to serve a leadership role in a very special campaign honoring Veterans Day and all the brave men and women who have served in the America’s armed forces.
The Veterans Day campaign had three key components:
Free lunch for veterans. Texas Roadhouse celebrated Veterans Day by serving lunch on the house to all current and former American military personnel.
- In addition, we promoted giving specially designed Veterans Day gift cards if they were unable to come into a restaurant. Texas Roadhouse donated 10% of all the proceeds from those gift card sales to Homes for Our Troops to provide specially adapted homes for our nation’s most severely injured veterans.
Promote Heinz’ annual Our Turn to Serve initiative.
- Texas Roadhouse customers scan a QR code on the back of their Heinz Ketchup bottle.
- The QR code opened a mobile website where users could create and send a thank you card to someone currently serving in the U.S. Military or a veteran.
- For each card created, Heinz donated $1 to the Wounded Warrior Project.
- Twitter Celebration. LEAP used its social influencer network to host a “Twitter party” to honor veterans and build awareness of Heinz’ and Texas Roadhouse’s Veterans Day Promotions.
We used the Twitter party as the largest awareness piece for the Veterans Day campaign. We created buzz leading up to the Twitter party even by getting media outlets and our influencers to promote it as well as sending out an email campaign to millions of consumers in the Texas Roadhouse, Heinz and Wounded Warrior databases.
- Idea Concept & Campaign Planning
- Creative Execution
- Media & Press Outreach
- Blogger/Influencer Outreach & Engagement
- Responsive Brand Website
- Photography & Content Creation
- Social Media Promotion
- iMedia & Twitter Party
- Email Campaign
The Twitter celebration was a cornerstone of the Veterans Day campaign, and key to promoting the Texas Roadhouse and Heinz initiative. The one-hour Twitter celebration was held on the eve of Veterans Day, and supported by brand partners and key influencers. Because respect and authenticity were, LEAP was very careful to partner with influencers that shared our respect for veterans and their service. In addition to a large audience with high engagement, each influencer also had a spouse, or another loved one, who was actively serving in the U.S. military or a proud military veteran.
A PLAN WELL IMPROVISED
Twitter Celebration followed a well-scripted plan by LEAP, designed to build excitement and encourage engagement while keeping the tone respectful. And like any other social media initiative LEAP performs, we were also well-prepared to improvise and keep the conversation positive.
Using the hashtag #TexasRHforVets were able to spread the word about the free lunch and donation promotions, while inspiring users to join the conversation and honor veterans everywhere.
Tweet topics included:
- Engagement tweets that encouraged participation, from quick questions and retweets to prompts asking users to share stories about the vets in their lives.
- Promotional tweets to surprise users with Texas Roadhouse gift cards for sharing their stories.
- Informational tweets to drive awareness of the free Veterans Day Lunch and the Heinz “Our Turn to Serve” promotion.
At the end of the day, the Twitter celebration proved a huge success, both online and off. Texas Roadhouse saw a big increase in sales from the previous Veterans Day, and #TexasRHforVets peaked at #2 in Twitter’s national trending topics, surpassing Taylor Swift’s “Blank Space” music video (sorry, Tay-Tay).
traffic increase year-over-year to the Veterans Day Lunch landing page
#TexasRHforVets ranked in the top 5 Twitter trending topics, peaking at #2
increase in overall restaurant sales over any normal Tuesday