It is one of the most wide-spread activities in the whole wide world. 5th graders do it. Soccer moms, CMO’s and PhD candidates do too. Across China, Argentina, Hungary and everywhere in-between. Believe it or not, blogging is actually the purest form of “self publishing” or a relatively new process by which individuals or groups use the immense power of the Internet to digitally proliferate their content. However, a lot of people, including business owners and companies, often mistake the “blogosphere” as nothing but an annoying phenomenon of the Internet age where people rant and chronicle useless stuff.
“Blogs are sometimes overlooked as a significant source of online buzz in comparison to social networking sites…” – Nielsen.com
And that is exactly why this medium should be re-evaluated as a serious digital marketing tool. Consider these examples as what blogs are used for:
- Customer reviews
- Customer complaints
- Brand awareness
Ok, you might now say, “So what? A bunch of overly sensitive and self important people are running cute little blogs. Nobody cares.” However, as much as some companies would like to believe that a single individual blog simply gets lost in the 100’s of millions of web pages online today, that is not the case. Who cares, you ask? Advertisers, that’s who. To demonstrate the power and reach of blogs think about this:
- At of the end of 2011 and early 2012, Nielsen tracked about 181 million blogs with more being added daily. – Nielsen.com
- There are an estimated 31 million bloggers in the US alone. – blogging.org (2012)
- 9% of bloggers make enough money to support their lifestyle on about 4-6 hours a day of blogging. – blogging.org (2012)
- There are blogs out there that regularly earn $100K+ a month – blogging.org (2012)
These numbers alone should get you to go create a blog like 20 minutes ago. Advertisers catch on to successful blogs and use them as ad portals. But what brands sometimes fail to realize is that blogs have tremendous potential to reach an enormous audience, across various demographics and locations around the world. Blogs can help you deliver a clear and concise message to the world about your company, products and services.
As with everything else in the digital realm, content is key. Well, content and optimization. That is where we, as a digital agency, come in.
- As a company, it shouldn’t be your goal to earn money on your blog but rather, for the blog to serve a means of public relations, in conjunction with your social media presence.
- The blog should reflect the tone and mission statement of your brand.
- There should be fresh, relevant and engaging content posted at least on a weekly basis. The consumer must derive some kind of value from reading/following your corporate blog.
- Finally, all this has to be optimized for the indexing prowess of the almighty Google algorithm. (Whatever that might be at any given time. Often named after cute animals like Penguin and Panda.)
At LEAP, we maintain a culture of blogging, both professional as well as personal. We know exactly how to structure and manage a blog, no matter the size of your business or market niche. We can even help with the drafting of engaging and vibrant content that will get your blog noticed. Not to mention we live and breathe SEO, the process that efficiently grooms your blog into a traffic-generating machine. Contact us today and find out how we can help with your blogging needs!